As if the gun laws that are in place in Sweden aren’t bad enough, now the politicians are in the process of making them even worse. To summarize the state of things now, these are a couple of facts about the Swedish weapons law (vapenlagen):
- * You need to state the specific purpose for which you need a weapon, and the government has to approve of the purpose and the intended weapon.
- You need to register as a gun owner and have all your guns individually registered.
- The government can revoke your permit at any time without having to state a reason, and you have to allow the police access to the specially regulated storage locker you keep your weapons in at any time.
- Handguns are almost impossible to get permits for, and you have to be a member of a sports club and be an elite athlete. Any kind of automatic weapon is impossible to own unless you’re in the military.
- If the police finds you in possession of a loaded firearm of any kind, you’re facing a minimum of six months in prison, quite a long sentence in the Swedish penal system.
- Even simple pepper sprays require permits that are almost impossible to get.
- A history of psychiatric treatment may very well make it impossible for you to get any kind of a permit.
What’s new now is that they’re attempting to make it a mandatory requirement to go through a psychiatric evaluation when applying for a permit, in the government proposal Ds 2010:6, “Some matters concerning the weapons law.” When the proposal was circulated to the trade union of doctors, naturally they endorsed it. Who can refuse extended authority and better job security through more work?
Though only Sweden is quite this mad when it come to gun laws, this might come to an area near you in the future. The Swedish government has been quite vigilant in its work with the UN in proposing international law in this area, which among other thing has resulted in the firearms protocol detailed in UN resolution 55/255.
For a more extensive study of Swedish society, including its gun laws, get my book “The Madhouse” at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046ZS2PA/ , or simply have a look at the video clip I made last year about the Swedish gun laws: