As if the gun laws that are in place in Sweden aren’t bad enough, now the politicians are in the process of making them even worse. To summarize the state of things now, these are a couple of facts about the Swedish weapons law (vapenlagen):
- * You need to state the specific purpose for which you need a weapon, and the government has to approve of the purpose and the intended weapon.
- You need to register as a gun owner and have all your guns individually registered.
- The government can revoke your permit at any time without having to state a reason, and you have to allow the police access to the specially regulated storage locker you keep your weapons in at any time.
- Handguns are almost impossible to get permits for, and you have to be a member of a sports club and be an elite athlete. Any kind of automatic weapon is impossible to own unless you’re in the military.
- If the police finds you in possession of a loaded firearm of any kind, you’re facing a minimum of six months in prison, quite a long sentence in the Swedish penal system.
- Even simple pepper sprays require permits that are almost impossible to get.
- A history of psychiatric treatment may very well make it impossible for you to get any kind of a permit.